Amit Rai, an award winning General Dental Practitioner has shared some basic tips that can help you achieve a healthy and clean set of teeth.
- Change your toothbrush: A worn out toothbrush cannot clean your teeth properly and may even damage your gums. Change your toothbrush every two or three months, or sooner if the bristles become splayed. Using an electric toothbrush can help against brushing too hard.
Advertisement- Brush before breakfast: You should brush twice a day and never straight after eating as acids can soften the outer layer of tooth enamel which you might wash away. Also don't forget to brush your tongue which can help to banish bad breath.
- Think twice about whiteness: If you are keen to have white teeth, first try a toothpaste with a gentle whitener that brings out your teeth's natural whiteness. Always visit your dentist if considering any whitening treatments to be sure that they are safe and effective.
- Cut back on sugar between meals:. Grazing on sweet treats and sugared drinks can cause dental caries since your mouth takes around an hour to neutralise sugar attacks.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can prevent you from having gleaming, healthy teeth as it can turn your teeth yellow as well as increase your risk of developing gum disease and mouth cancer.
- Limit your alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption has been linked to an increased risk of developing mouth cancer. White wine, cider and alcopops are considered to be particularly erosive to teeth.
- Limit acids: Citrus fruit can be very acidic, just like pickle and fizzy drinks. Remember to swill your mouth with water afterwards to buffer their harmful effects. Also, use a straw when drinking fizzy drinks.
- Don't ignore the warning signs: Suffering from twinges, dental pain or bleeding gums can be your mouth's way of telling you that you need to see the dentist. Dental check ups should be no longer than every six months. But they might be more or less frequent depending upon what your dentist says.
You May Also Like