Medindia

X

Scalding from Hot Tea Proves Nearly Fatal for 10-Month-Old

by Kathy Jones on  March 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Child Health News   - G J E 4
A 10-month old baby nearly died due to bacterial infection that developed after being scalded by a drop of hot tea.
 Scalding from Hot Tea Proves Nearly Fatal for 10-Month-Old
Scalding from Hot Tea Proves Nearly Fatal for 10-Month-Old
Advertisement

Alexander Caven-Atack's parents said that they were not worried initially after a drop of hot tea led to a burn that was no bigger than a 10p coin on his chest. However the burn quickly became infected and spread across his body, leading to blisters and peeling of skin.

Advertisement
His condition was so severe that doctors had to peel off more than 80 percent of his skin and put him in an antiseptic suit and provide intravenous antibiotics. However the doctors warned his parents, Andrew and Sarah, that antibiotics may not be enough and there was a great danger that he could die.

However he has completely recovered from the infection, known as Scalded Skin Syndrome, thanks to a high protein diet that he was fed before the infection. "He spent two weeks in intensive care in bandages from head to foot. We were presented with this little mummy with just his thumbs and a big toe showing. The consultant told us he only survived because he had been fed a good high-protein diet beforehand", Andrew said.



Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All