Official figures indicate that cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 7.6 million deaths. Here are some of the more disturbing facts about this killer disease.
* India has nearly 3 million cancer patients.
* A million new cases are reported in India every year.
* Deaths from cancer worldwide are estimated to reach 13.1 million deaths in 2030.
* Lung and oral cancer is the most common among men.
* Cervix and breast cancer is the most common among women.
* Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer causing 22 percent of global cancer deaths and 71 percent of global lung cancer deaths.
* Lung, stomach, liver, colon and breast cancer cause the most cancer deaths each
* Cancers such as breast, cervical and colorectal cancer can be cured if detected early and treated properly.
* There are more than 100 types of cancers; any part of the body can be affected.
* One-fifth of all cancers worldwide are caused by a chronic infection; for example human papillomavirus (HPV) causes cervical cancer and the hepatitis B virus (HBV) causes liver cancer.