Medindia

X

Poisonous Herb Causes Havoc With an Italian Family

by Savitha C Muppala on  June 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM General Health News   - G J E 4
Carmela Messina, 66 and her family were paralyzed after she used a poisonous herb accidentally as garnish for their dinner.

Soon after they had dinner, her husband, daughter, grandson and she collapsed on the floor vomiting. They were also paralyzed.
 Poisonous Herb Causes Havoc With an Italian Family
Poisonous Herb Causes Havoc With an Italian Family
Advertisement

The poisonous plant, Devil's Trumpet was found by Messina in some bushes near a market. She presumed it was a kind of bitter green broccoli, so she planted them in her kitchen garden. Later, she used that plant as garnish for the family's pasta dinner.

Advertisement
"I can't forget the image of my mother and sister paralyzed on the floor," Maurizio Finocchiaro, Messina's son said, "I saw my family members falling ill one by one. After my nephew starting being sick, I realized that all of their symptoms were related to something that they had eaten."

Devil's Trumpet, or Datura Metel, is highly poisonous and can be life threatening if it is consumed by humans. The victims are undergoing treatment and doctors are hopeful that they will regain movement soon.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All