Peanut Allergy Causes Death of a College Freshman

by Savitha C Muppala on  March 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM Research News   - G J E 4
A nineteen year old college freshman, Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick, was the victim of a bad nut allergy after consuming a cookie that had peanut oil.

He was first diagnosed with this allergy when he was just 8 years old. Ever since he was extremely careful about what he ate.
 Peanut Allergy Causes Death of a College Freshman
Peanut Allergy Causes Death of a College Freshman

Then, when he and his friend went out driving one day, he consumed half a cookie after it was certified safe by his friend.

Within half hour of consuming the cookie, he had trouble breathing, he turned blue and his mother could not locate a fresh Epi-Pen -- an epinephrine autoinjector. She had one in her cupboard but it had expired two months earlier.

Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick could not survive and he died. All efforts of doctors to revive him failed and the boy breathed his last.

Peanuts are the most common allergy causing foods and they often are found in food items that we may overlook.

Though technically peanut is not actually a "nut" but a legume, still people allergic to peanuts can exhibit similar allergic reactions to other tree nuts such as walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, and cashews. The proteins found in the peanuts are similar in structure to those found in other tree nuts.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All