A 4-year-old girl suffered severe allergy attack at 30,000ft after an airline passenger ignored repeated warnings not to eat peanuts.
Fae Platten stopped breathing and passed out on a holiday flight after the man opened a packet of mixed nuts despite three warnings that there was a child on board with critical allergy issues.
AdvertisementThe girl was returning to the UK after her family holiday in Tenerife. After boarding the flight, the crew of the Ryanair flight made three separate proclamations stating the presence of three passengers, including the little girl, who were allergic to nuts.
However, a person sitting a few rows behind Fae overlooked the announcements and opened a packet of peanut snacks. The airconditioning in the plane may have taken a nut particle to Fae, which suddenly resulted in facial swelling and difficulty in breathing. Looking at Fae's worsening condition, her mother Katy took her to the front of the plane.
The crew made an emergency announcement requesting a medical expert to come forward and help. Luckily, an ambulance worker was present on the flight and helped revive Fae with the help of an injection. Unluckily, the incident left Fae with a swollen tongue and blistered lips.
Katy describes the terrible incident as a nightmare as she was stuck in the flight and there was no way she could get more help. Katy says that she was definitely angry with the fellow selfish passenger who ignored announcements, but her priority was to ensure that Fae was okay.
Katy says that Fae was frightened with the entire episode and is skeptical about traveling on a plane again. "Fae has said she never wants to go on an aeroplane again after what happened but we've tried to explain to her that she will miss out on some wonderful holidays if we don't fly," says Katy.
Ryanair has recognized the passenger who ignored the repetitive announcements. The passenger is said to be of Zimbabwean origin and was travelling with his wife and two teenage children. The passenger says that he did not speak good English and probably did not understand the peanut allergy warnings made by the crew.
A Ryanair spokesperson said that the Zimbabwean passenger has been banned from using any Ryanair flight for two years.
You May Also Like