New Device Detects Poisoned Alcohol

by Raja Nandhini on  March 26, 2013 at 6:55 AM Alcohol & Drug Abuse News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment
Scientists from Colombia have invented a device to track the amount of methanol in an alcoholic drink.

Higher level of methanol in alcohol can render a person blind and sometimes prove fatal, resulting in death.
 New Device Detects Poisoned Alcohol
New Device Detects Poisoned Alcohol
Advertisement

Methanol is present in drinks, which are distilled at home in a wrong way or in it is mixed intentionally with standard drinks to gain profit. Since methanol smells, tastes and appears similar to ethanol, which is present in alcohol, it cannot be easily identified.

Advertisement
The device costing $5 consists of a reusable chip and uses an antenna to analyze the proportion of ethanol and methanol in an alcoholic drink. Scientists are working on improvising the design so that readings are directly sent to mobile phones.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

More News on:

Alcoholic Liver Disease Alcohol abuse Cannabis Alcohol and Driving Bubbles and Brews - Alcohol Facts Pancreatitis Alcohol Addiction and Women Drug Detox 
Advertisement

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive