Mosquito Bite Paralyzes Woman

by Kathy Jones on  June 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Natasha Porter, a 23-year-old woman from Sussex in England was paralyzed after being bitten by a mosquito in Australia.
 Mosquito Bite Paralyzes Woman
Mosquito Bite Paralyzes Woman

Porter was confined to a wheelchair for four months after the mosquito bite, The Sun reported. The woman was unable to lift her arms days after being bitten by the mosquito and was paralyzed from neck down days later.

Initially, it was thought that she had suffered an allergic reaction, but doctors later diagnosed her as suffering from Guillain-Barré syndrome, which leads to the body's immune system attacking itself.

"I was so scared," Porters said. "I remember feeling guilty, because I knew I was going to have to call my parents. I was thinking, 'How do I call them up and say I might be dead in a few hours?'"

Her recovery was gradual and she has now regained full feeling. Porter plans to continue traveling the world and wants to enjoy as much as possible.

Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

More News on:

Yellow Fever Malaria-water Malaria Leishmaniasis 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor
Advertisement

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive