Misdiagnosis of a serious spinal condition called cauda equina syndrome (CES), has caused a thirty-five-year-old mother of two, Debbie Thomson, to be permanently paralyzed and thus confined to the house.
An innocuous sneeze in May 2011 caused her to collapse on the floor in excruciating pain after which she was unable to move her limbs.
AdvertisementShe is completely dependant on her husband for routine personal cleanliness like a bath and assistance in the toilet. "My life has been completely shattered by the permanent damage to my spine, which I believe could have been prevented if I had received the care I urgently needed," she said.
Debbie, who is also a victim of sciatica said, "I had sciatica at the time but nothing like this. It was basically caused by a simple sneeze as I was coming out of my bathroom. I never dreamed it could lead to being disabled. I feel so angry that this has happened and that nothing can be done for me. By taking legal action I hope to highlight my case to the trust and help to save other people from going through what I have. While it is too late for me, it may not be for someone else."
Timely surgical intervention would have saved the day for Debbie from the severe effects of this condition which affects a bundle of nerve roots called cauda equina, located in the spinal cord of the lumbar. There is a compression on the spinal nerve roots which needs immediate treatment to prevent permanent damage. Lack of timely surgery in this case led to permanent paralysis of the legs (paraplegia).
She is all set to sue the doctors at the Northampton General Hospital (NHS) for misdiagnosing her condition that eventually led to paralysis.
You May Also Like