Women are becoming the most vulnerable section as far as their safety and security is concerned. The utmost priority of the Government should be the safety of women in the country.
The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development is implementing following schemes for protection of women:
- Swadhar and Short Stay Homes to provide relief and rehabilitation to destitute women and women in distress.
- Ujjawala Homes for rehabilitation of victims of trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation.
- Working Women Hostels for ensuring safe accommodation for working women away from their place of residence.
- One Stop Center to provide integrated support and assistance to women affected by violence.
- Scheme for Universalization of Women Helpline intended to provide 24 hours immediate and emergency response to women affected by violence.
The scheme of Universalization of Women Helpline is exclusively designed to support women affected by violence, both in private and public spaces, including in the family, community, workplace etc.
The Women Helpline (Helpline) will provide 24 hour emergency response to all women affected by violence both in public and private sphere. This scheme is being implemented since 1st April 2015. All the States/UTs have been requested to submit the proposals in order to release funds.
This information was given by the Union Minister of Women and Child Development, Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi in reply to an unstarred question in the Lok Sabha.