Medindia

X

Midlands Boy Died Tragically of Meningitis After Getting Wrong Medication

by Kathy Jones on  July 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
A schoolboy in Midlands tragically died of meningitis on his 13th birthday after hospital staff gave him medication for headache even though he displayed six tell-tale signs of the meningitis virus, an inquest heard.
 Midlands Boy Died Tragically of Meningitis After Getting Wrong Medication
Midlands Boy Died Tragically of Meningitis After Getting Wrong Medication
Advertisement

Hednesford's Thomas Smith was on a holiday in Wales when he was taken to an out-of-hours GP after he complained of headaches. He was referred to the Prince Charles Hospital, in Merthyr Tydfil, with tell-tale symptoms of meningitis including sickness, neck-pain, flu-like symptoms, earache and vomiting.

Advertisement
However consulting doctor Kwong-Tou Yip gave him Paracetamol tablets for his headaches but Smith was later diagnosed with pneumococcal meningitis. Dr Yip admitted to the inquest that he should have had started Smith on antibiotics sooner, though microbiology professor Gary French said that antibiotics would 'not necessarily' have saved his life.

"If meningitis had been diagnosed at admission then he would have been started on antibiotics. The earlier you start treatment the better - early treatment improves outcomes. But giving antibiotics is not a magic wand that saves patients from all complications", French told the hearing.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All