Magnets Surgically Removed from Boy's Stomach

by Savitha C Muppala on  December 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM Child Health News   - G J E 4
Magnetic balls from the adult desk toy Bucky balls created havoc in the life of a mother and her three year old son, after he had accidentally swallowed the magnetic balls without anybody noticing it during a vacation in November this year.
 Magnets Surgically Removed from Boy's Stomach
Magnets Surgically Removed from Boy's Stomach

His bowels were punctured as the magnets joined together in his stomach to from a bracelet.

Despite symptoms like acute vomiting and stomach pain, doctors were unable to diagnose the real problem even after several X-rays.

According to the mother, medical investigation lacked depth and she fails to understand why they did not perform an ultrasound when the symptoms were so acute.

The mother felt the medical staff had not conducted a thorough examination and the X-ray was not done properly. After her insistence that she had health insurance, another investigation finally revealed the presence of magnetic balls inside the stomach.

This experience has left the family disappointed and angry with the medical team for not investigating thoroughly and dismissing her concerns. She plans to file a complaint with the Health and Disabilities Commission.

"You tell them exactly what is happening and they don't listen," she laments.

The boy finally underwent surgery for removal of the magnets and he is recovering well, although it should take some time for his stomach to heal.

"Bucky balls shouldn't be given to children. If it is an adult desk toy, then leave it with adults."

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like