A beaded "love" bracelet bought for just $1.60 on eBay proved to be very costly for a British woman who revealed that she checked into a psychiatric hospital after experiencing hallucinations.
Made from Peruvian Jequirity bean, the bracelet sparked a public health scare in Britain and other western countries last year after it was found to contain a deadly poison, abrin, before finally being recalled by its maker.
AdvertisementFor Jo Wollacott though the bracelet had already done the damage as the 40-year old suffered from abscesses and hives as well as leading to hallucinations. Wollacott revealed that when she started experiencing hallucinogenic-like state, she checked into a psychiatric hospital.
Wollacott said that she did not link her illnesses to the bracelet until her son brought home a letter from school warning about the dangers of Jequirity bean bracelets. "The letter had a picture of my bracelet on. When I got the warning letter I came home and got the bracelet and realised how long I'd been wearing it for. I couldn't believe it. When I found out hallucinations were part of the side effects of the bead poisoning I started to piece things together", she said.
PHope in Rehab Amidst the Drug Ruckus in Russia New Drug to Reduce Risk of Respiratory Viral Infections M
You May Also Like