Ingested Lithium Battery Causes Death of a Child

by Savitha C Muppala on  July 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM Child Health News   - G J E 4
A four-year-old child from Queensland died after she swallowed a lithium battery. She was rushed to the Noosa Hospital after she suffered stomach bleeding.
 Ingested Lithium Battery Causes Death of a Child
Ingested Lithium Battery Causes Death of a Child

Even though she was transferred to Royal Brisbane hospital, doctors could not save her life as the battery had caused irreparable damage.

Susan Teerds from Kidsafe Queensland has warned parents about taking extra care as these button-shaped lithium batteries are found in common household items, and children can have easy access to them.

"When a child swallows a battery it often gets caught in the oesophagus, around the voice box. Once it's been lodged, within an hour, it will start to burn a hole," she said.

"The saliva actually starts a chemical reaction and burns a hole through the oesophagus and can keep burning a hole into the aorta, through to the spine and whatever else is there."

Kidsafe Queensland has encountered many such cases of children in emergency departments each week with such symptoms.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All