February 4th is celebrated as World Cancer Day 2016 to raise awareness about the risks involved in cancer.
Cancer Statistics in IndiaCancer incidences are set to rise during the next few years.
- From 979.786 cases in 2010 it will go up to 1,148,757 cases in 2020
- Tobacco-related cancer in males will go up to 225,241 in 2020
- Gynaecological-related cancers will rise to 182,602 in 2020
‘Cancer incidence will rise up to 1,148,757 cases in 2020, stressing the need for better awareness and care.’
AdvertisementThe theme for World Cancer Day 2016 is 'We Can, I Can" and this theme that will extend for another couple of years.
As part of the "We Can" measure, collective action is encouraged by society at large to partake in activities which could actively support the cause of cancer.
- Actively support causes that could prevent premature death or better screening facilities.
- Raise awareness in schools and other educational institutions about cancer
- Improve social environment, making it hygienic and disease free
- Work with fellow minds to strengthen resolve against cancer
- Bring about change in legislation to promote cancer care
- Take care - everyone should learn to lead a healthy lifestyle. Most people fail to look after their health, while being extra cautious about the health of family.
- Go for regular check-ups
- Try to lead a normal life- There is no point brooding. Even if a close family member is affected, it is important to remain positive.
- Speak out about challenges faced and ways they can be avoided. This would benefit many people.
- Get back to work- Work will take the focus off from the disease and encourage normalcy
- The South African cricket team will be sporting pink pants and shirt for the one day International game against England on February 12th 2016. They hope to raise one million Rand through donations that will be used for mammography and other diagnostic testing.
- Celebrities from around the world, Nicole Scherzinger and Craig David, amongst others, will wear unity bands to support the cause
- Milind Soman, Model turned actor, organizes marathons across India called pinkathon to raise awareness about breast cancer.
- The South Shield's town hall will turn purple on Thursday for World Cancer Day 2016.
- A special event at Abu Dhabi will mark World Cancer Day 2016 for UAE's cancer patient care group.
You May Also Like