In Ayurveda "Shirodhara" is a treatment which totally relaxes the nervous system. For a person who is under mental stress, it lowers the metabolic rate and establishes a blissful feeling, and a person undergoing the therapy is fully refreshed and rejuvenated.
The Literal Meaning of Shirodhara
Advertisement"Shiro" in Sanskrit means head and "Dhara" means flow - the flow of oil on the head means shirodhara. This treatment works at both the physical and emotional level, while maintaining physical health and rejuvenates the spirit at the same time.
The individual is first examined by a specialist in Ayurveda to verify his body type and the nature of therapy most fitting for him. He is then asked to lie down on a curved table with open palms facing upwards. Some aromatic oils are dabbed on his feet, hands and nose. The room is cool and calm with some incense candles lit and some soothing music in the background. Oil, buttermilk, water, sugarcane juice or milk may be used according to the treatment - drips on the centre of the forehead from a pot suspended above the head. A mild massage of the face, neck and scalp is given in conclusion of the treatment which lasts for maybe one or two hours.
Benefits of Shirodhara
• This treatment is beneficial for people with nervous disorders like epilepsy along with the regular medication.
• It helps insomniacs sleep soundly as it calms the body and mind.
• Facial palsy, paralysis and ptosis-drooping eyelids benefit with shirodhara.
• It helps arrest hair fall, premature graying, and split ends.
• Shirodhara will sharpen the sense organs, improves digestion and strengthens the muscles of the neck and shoulders.
• It helps those with hypertension, rheumatism and asthma.
• People who undergo this therapy have a sharper memory, self confidence, self esteem and intelligence.
Period of Treatment
The time frame for the treatment varies from patient to patient. In some cases a patient is asked to undergo the treatment for 15 days continuously and for some it is once in 15 days.
People with low blood pressure or some kind of oil allergies or rashes can have problems resulting from this treatment.
PResiding During Teenage Years Raises Your Risk of Stroke People with Metabolic Syndrome and Heart Disease can Eat Eggs M
You May Also Like