- Drug abuse and related health issues such as HIV, tuberculosis are becoming a major health threat.
- The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2017 is observed on 26th June each year to raise awareness about illicit drug abuse and trafficking.
- The theme for this year is 'Listen First - Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe'.
The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is observed on 26th June annually. The day was first observed by the UN General Assembly in 1987. It mainly aims to raise awareness on illicit drug abuse and trafficking
About 190,000 people die every year due to the use of illicit drugs. The use of drugs can also result in debilitating conditions like HIV, hepatitis and tuberculosis.
‘The theme for the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2017 is- ‘Listen First - Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe.’’
The day mainly recognizes the impact of drugs on health, development, peace and security. The date commemorates Chinese scholar Lin Zexu's dismantling of the Opium trade in Humen, Guangdong, which happened just before the First Opium War in China.
The theme for this year's International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking will be 'Listen First - Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe.'
Drug use and other related health problems are a major health concern worldwide. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has developed a campaign to promote evidence-based universal prevention program.
The campaign mainly involves listening to children and young people, as the first step in helping them ahead into a healthy and safe life, thereby reducing risk behaviors and drug use.
Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in India
The Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is the nodal agency for drug law enforcement in India. The NCB conducts many programs and activities to raise awareness on the harmful effects of drug abuse.
It organizes various types of events every year along with local communities and State governments to celebrate the World Drug Day with full vigor.
Harmful Health Effects of Drug Abuse
The use of drugs for some other purposes than prescribed recommendations can lead to drug abuse.
can result in withdrawal symptoms when people are being deprived of drugs. Drugs like heroin can cause sleepiness and reduce breathing, while cocaine can increase the heart rate.
Addiction to drugs
can also result in psychological and mental problems with mood swings and depression. Complications due to mental illness may also cause hallucinations, confusion and can lead to the desire to engage in risky behavior.
Sometimes, drug effects can also lead to antisocial behavior like violence, crime and terrorism.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, exercise and proper rest can help to prevent habits like drug abuse.
- Rehabilitating people by diverting their minds towards meditation and practicing yoga can help to prevent illicit drug use.
- Counseling or psychotherapy, involving discussions with the family, can help in coping with drug addiction.
- Self-help groups where patients meet others who are struggling with the same problem can often boost motivation and be a useful source of education and information.
The UNODC is committed to addressing the challenge of illicit drugs, and the key principle of protecting the health and welfare of humankind on the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- International Day Against Drug Abuse
and Illicit Trafficking, 26 June - (http://www.un.org/en/events/drugabuseday/)
- Statement of the Executive Director on the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking - (https:www.unodc.org/unodc/en/press/releases/2017/June/statement-on-the-international-day-against-drug-abuse-and-illicit-trafficking.html)
- 26 June 2017 International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking - (http://www.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13425%3Ainternational-day-against-drug-abuse-and-illicit-trafficking-2017&catid=4045%3Achronic-diseases-news&Itemid=40276&lang=en)