- Cancer is the second leading cause of death in U.S
- Antioxidants present in green tea prevents cancer
- Cisplatin, a cancer drug causes toxicity in the body.
Consuming green tea which is rich in antioxidants helps in reducing the toxicity of cisplatin (a cancer drug) to prevent damage in the kidneys, says a recent study.
Green Tea effects on Cisplatin Drug
‘Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a catechin present in green tea prevents aging of the skin.’
Cisplatin is an important drug to treat cancers. However approximately, 30 per cent of the treated patients may develop damage to the kidney (nephrotoxicity) after receiving an initial dose of cisplatin.
The research study has evaluated the usefulness of a polyphenolic compound obtained from green tea in preventing the damage of kidneys induced by the cisplatin.
Side effects of cisplatin may include nephrotoxicity (toxicity in the kidneys) and life-threatening damage to the kidney.
Cisplatin causes oxidative stress and inflammation producing free radicals inside the cells of the kidney.
The study by AIIMS Professor Jagriti Bhatia from the Pharmacology Department was published in Journal Laboratory Investigations
"If this research progresses, it may lead to a new drug which can combat the ill effects of cisplatin," said Bhatia.
How are cancer cells formed?
Cancer in the US accounts for nearly 1 of every 4 deaths.
Cells are an important component of the body where old cells die and are replaced by new cells.
A tumor is formed when the cells do not die and form clusters which can either be benign or malignant.
Specific Functions of Green Tea in Cancer
The most effective antioxidant present in green tea is Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) which amounts to 50-75% of its total catechin content.
Suicide of Cancer Cells with EGCG
Various cancer diseases have been killed with EGCG laboratory conditions.
The actions of EGCG and other green tea antioxidants are largely responsible for the death of these cancer cells.
Enlightenment on Green Tea
Green tea made from Camellia sinensis leaves which originated in China does not wither or go through the oxidizing process.
Beneficial Factors of Green Tea are:
- Improves physical health and reduces fat composition in the body
- Improves health due to the presence of bioactive compounds
- Reduces various types of cancer due to the presence of antioxidants
- Reduces the risk for hypertension, Type II Diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Improves brain function due to the compounds present by lowering the risk for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease
- Throat infection, dental caries and other dental conditions are prevented by destroying the bacteria and viruses due to the presence of Catechin in tea.