- Link between vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy and autism risk identified.
- Prenatal vitamin D supplements could cut the incidence of autism.
- Vitamin D invests in the well-being of your baby by supporting healthy bone development.
Not getting enough vitamin D during pregnancy could increase the chances of having a child with autism.
Queensland Brain Institute researchers took the blood samples from more than 4,000 pregnant women and their children. Blood samples with a vitamin D reading of less than 25.0 nmol are considered deficient.
‘Women deficient in vitamin D at 20 weeks’ of pregnancy were more likely to give birth to children who display autistic traits by the age of six.’
The study has found an association between vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy and autism.
The study has shed light on new evidence that low levels of vitamin D have been associated with neurodevelopmental disorders.
Just as taking folate supplements to reduce the incidence of spina bifida, intake of vitamin D supplements during pregnancy is also necessary.
The solution to boosting vitamin D levels was not seeking out more sun, Professor McGrath said.
'We would not recommend more sun exposure, because of the increased risk of skin cancer in countries like Australia. Instead, it's feasible that a safe, inexpensive, and publicly accessible vitamin D supplement in at-risk groups may reduce the prevalence of this risk factor.'
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Vitamin D Rich Foods
- Autism spectrum disorder or ASD refers to a group of developmental disabilities such as difficulties with communication and social interaction.
- 1 in 68 children has been identified with ASD, according to CDC.
- It is 4.5 times more common among boys than in girls.
- Parents who have their first child with ASD have a 2-18% chance of having the second child also with ASD.
- Kids born to older parents are at an increased risk for having ASD.
- Over 18 million people with autism in India.
- Egg yolk
- Cod liver oil
- Autism Information - (
- Autism in India - (http://www.autism-india.org/autism-india.php)
- Vitamin D and Pregnancy - (