- World Arthritis Day held every year on the October 12
is an initiative to raise awareness about the disease.
- The theme for 2017
is 'Don't Delay, Connect Today' which focuses on the early
diagnosis of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
- Early diagnosis is the key to prevent further damage as
arthritis can affect the daily activities and affect physical abilities.
World arthritis day is
an annual event held on October 12th
to raise awareness about
the disease. The European
League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) started the day to promote activities that
can raise awareness about the diseases that affect the bones and the muscles.
, which means joint inflammation affects more than 50 million adults but more
than half of those affected are diagnosed by a doctor rather than after a
self-imported investigation for the disease.
‘World arthritis day is a global awareness day initiated to encourage early diagnosis of arthritis, to prevent further damage and to provide timely access to treatment.’
Delayed diagnosis can
lead to impairment of daily activities. Arthritis, the inflammation in joints
is indicated by
stiffness, swelling, redness or warmth in the joints and can affect mobility.
Two-thirds of adults in the U.S. with
arthritis are between 18-64 years. Diagnosing the disease before old age can help prevent serious
Types of Arthritis
There are several types
of arthritis including:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: RA
is a chronic inflammatory disease of the joints and the surrounding tissues. The†exact cause of
rheumatoid arthritis is unknown. Infection, genes and hormonal changes may be
linked to the disease. RA leads to†pain, swelling,
stiffness and loss of function in the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can occur at any
age, but is more common in middle age.
- Reiter's syndrome: This is an auto immune
condition and is also known as
'reactive arthritis'. The arthritic
inflammation in this condition is usually the result of an infection affecting
another body part. Inflammation of the joints, urinary tract, and eyes are the three distinct
characteristics of reactive arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis is one of the most common joint disorders
and occurs as we age due to wear and tear of a joint. In osteoarthritis, the
cartilage in the joints is broken down. Healthy cartilage absorbs the shock of
movement and prevents friction between bones; when this cartilage is lost, the
bones rub together during movement.†Osteoarthritis can affect any joint of
the body but it usually affects the weight-bearing joints i.e.†hips and knees.
- Psoriatic Arthritis can occur in people who have scaly
red and white skin patches in the body. It affects areas where the tissue is
attached to the bone.
- Gout is also a type of arthritis caused
by the build up of uric acid crystals in the joints especially in the toes.
- Juvenile arthritis is a form of arthritis that occurs in children and
the age of diagnosis ranges from time of birth to 16 years of age.The inheritance of specific genes is
believed to increase the risk of arthritis in children.
- Swelling in the joints due to
- Stiffness, redness, and/or warmth of
- Persistent pain in the muscles and
- Tiredness, weakness, extreme fatigue,
lack of energy,
- Restricted range in movement or
- Deformed joints
- Depression and
Don't Delay; Stay Connected
The theme focuses on the importance of
timely diagnosis. As the disease progresses, it can impair mobility due to pain
and can affect the quality of life. As part of the events for the day, EULAR campaign engages patient organizations, health professional associations and scientific communities.
The campaign aims to raise awareness of the
importance of early diagnosis, prevention of further damage to those already
with musculoskeletal diseases and to encourage access to timely treatment.
Facts on Arthritis
- One in 5 people over the age of 18 are diagnosed with
- Almost 300,000 babies and children have rheumatic
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type which affects 31
- More than 78 million are estimated to be diagnosed with
arthritis by 2040.
- Every year, people with arthritis end up with lost wages
due to injury or illness.
- Arthritis can affect a person's mental health as well. One third of those aged 45 or older can have
anxiety or depression.
- Arthritis is not an old people's disease. Two-thirds of
people with some form of arthritis are under age 65.
- RMD facts - (https:www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/arthritis#b)
- Arthritis - (http://www.worldarthritisday.org/facts/rmd-facts)