You may associate testosterone with aggressive behavior, but the fact is, this very hormone plays an essential role when it comes to healthy functioning of the body and its different processes. Let's take a closer look into the basics and discover some cool facts about testosterone, and finally, understand how 3 simple herbs can boost testosterone levels naturally. Read on...
What is Testosterone?
AdvertisementSimply put, testosterone is a hormone that is produced by the ovaries and testes, and also the adrenal glands of the body. It is an essential hormone that is needed for the proper functioning of different processes of the body, particularly the reproductive system and is derived from the parent compound cholesterol.
Generally referred to as a "male" hormone, testosterone is a hormone produced in men by the testicles and is responsible for the proper development of male sexual characteristics. Additionally, testosterone is important for maintaining muscle bulk, sufficient levels of red blood cells, bone growth, sexual function and an overall sense of wellbeing.
A deficiency of this hormone could have harmful effects on the body, and using replacement therapy to combat this deficiency, can sometimes, prove insufficient.
Some Cool Facts about Testosterone
Here we've put down some surprising facts about the hormone testosterone-
• Testosterone can help shrink your belly- Yes, you read that right! Researcher Adrian Dobs from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine has revealed how there was a decrease in the abdominal obesity in men, when they were given testosterone.
• Women in love have a higher testosterone level- Yet another shocker; women who have just started with a relationship tend to have higher testosterone levels in the initial months than women who are single or are in a long-term relationship.
• Too much testosterone can shrink the testicles- Men who take performance boosters and synthetic testosterone have a risk of suffering from shrunken testicles and growing breasts, not to mention aggression, mood swings and acne.
• Money-making affects testosterone levels- According to British researchers, young men experience a spike in their testosterone levels on days where they make an above-average profit.
• Fat can reduce testosterone levels- Experts believe that obese men are more likely to suffer from lower testosterone levels than thin men; and this is because of the presence of inflammatory factors along with fat cells, which suppress the synthesis of testosterone.
Three Herbs that Boost Testosterone Levels Naturally
Here we've listed down the three best natural herbs that improve testosterone levels naturally.
Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium)- This Chinese herb is believed to be efficient in boosting testosterone levels for both men and women. It contains a compound known as 'icariin', which is believed to be responsible for the testosterone boost.
A study has also revealed how horny goat weed could mimic the effects of testosterone, causing the boost; perhaps this explains why the herb is often prescribed as a natural treatment for low libido- which is in fact, an effect of low testosterone levels.
Around 3 to 9 gms of this herb, when taken with tea, is believed to be the best solution to boost testosterone naturally.
Originating in South Africa, this herb has been found to be wonderfully effective in naturally boosting testosterone levels. A human study also found that between 25-50mg/kg doses of this herb, when taken, could have a prominent testosterone-boosting effect.
This herb also called puncture vine, has been in use since centuries, especially in China and India, and is believed to boost testosterone levels. Intake of this herb is also believed to help boost sexual desire, improve sports function and manage erectile dysfunction.
You May Also Like