International Women's Day is celebrated on the 8th of March every year. This day is dedicated to every woman the world over, be she a mother, a daughter or a wife. Most women tend to neglect their own health, just as much as they are involved in caring for their near and dear ones. Here are some health tips that women should adopt to ensure their good health:
• Women after menopause often suffer from osteoporosis. Make sure you take enough calcium in the form of milk and milk products as well as supplements of calcium and vitamin D if recommended by your doctor.
Advertisement• Breast cancer and cervical cancer are two cancers that commonly plague women. Both these cancers can be detected through simple tests, that is, mammogram and Pap's smear respectively. Be sure that your tests are up to date. The HPV vaccine given to young girls can also help to prevent cervical cancer.
• Heart disease is quite common in women as well. Ensure that you eat a nutritious diet which is low in saturated fat. Your exercise regimen will not only keep your heart healthy, but will also keep your weight under control and give you a general feeling of well-being.
• If you are feeling excessively tired and fatigued at the end of the day, do not ignore it. You could be suffering from thyroid disease or anemia.
• Control your alcohol and smoking habits. Women tend to get affected by alcohol more badly as compared to men. Smoking and alcohol have an adverse effect on the baby, and are an absolute no-no during pregnancy.
• Depression and mood swings are quite common in woman. If you feel you cannot deal with it, reach out for help. Strive to be independent - it will boost your self-esteem.
• Get adequate sleep at night. After all, you should be fresh enough to take on the next day!
• Take care of your skin. Use a sunscreen to protect your skin from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Get a regular facial to keep your facial skin toned. Treat the cracks of your feet before they worsen.
• Drink adequate water. It will help to cleanse your system and prevent repeated urinary tract infections, which are quite common in females.
• Get your eyes checked at regular intervals especially as you grow older.
Here's wishing every woman a Healthy and Happy Woman's Day!
PHealthy Diet and Adequate Sleep may Reduce Mortality in Elderly World Kidney Day 2014: 'Chronic Kidney Disease and Aging' M
You May Also Like