- Post menopausal women with osteoporosis have an increased risk for fractures.
- Injecting the drug Abaloparatide lowers risk for fracture.
- Abaloparatide has also been found to improve bone mineral density.
The risk factors associated with osteoporosis include:
- Small and thin frame
- Older women
- Low bone density or osteopenia
- Post menopausal women
- One in two women suffer from osteoporosis
- One in four men suffer from osteoporosis
- The lifetime risk of fractures for a women of age 60 is 44%
- 54 million Americans suffer from osteoporosis
- The medical costs incurred due to osteoporosis is 34 million dollars in the U.S
Bone Fractures among Osteoporotic Men and WomenBone fractures can be very painful as it requires hospitalization and additional care that would generally affect the quality of life of senior citizens. Fractures that are caused due to osteoporosis could occur without any excessive physical injury, even minor falls could lead to a fracture.
‘Injection of drug Abaloparatide found to decrease fracture risk for women with osteoporosis.’
AdvertisementOlder people are often left worrying about fractures and activities that involve a fair amount of physical exertion. This stresses the need to find a preventive mechanism that safeguard older adults from the risk of fractures.
Effect of Abaloparatide on Lowering Fracture Risk among Osteoporotic WomenDr Paul and colleagues from the Colorado Center for Bone Research tested 2 different drugs and a placebo on randomly selected women with osteoporosis. There were 3 groups of study participants
- 824 women with osteoporosis received injections of Abaloparatide
- 818 women with osteoporosis received injections of Teriparatide
- 821 women with osteoporosis received injections of Placebo
New vertebral fractures were seen in
- 0.58% in the Abaloparatide group.
- 0.84% in the Teriparatide group.
- 4.22% in the Placebo group.
- 2.7% in the Abaloparatide group.
- 3.3% in the Teriparatide group.
- 4.7% in the Placebo group.
- Bone mineral density was found to increase when compared with placebo
- The incidence of hypercalcemia was lower in abaloparatide group than in teriparatide group.
- Osteoporosis - (https:medlineplus.gov/osteoporosis.html)
- What is Osteoporosis and What Causes It? - (https:www.nof.org/patients/what-is-osteoporosis/)
- Injected drug reduces risk of fracture among women with osteoporosis - (http://www.eurekalert.org/emb_releases/2016-08/tjnj- idr081216.php)
You May Also Like