The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had launched the "National Program for the Health Care of Elderly" (NPHCE) during the year 2010-11 to address various health related problems of elderly people, keeping in view the recommendations made in the "National Policy on Older Persons" as well as the State's obligation under the "Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007."
As per 60th Round National Sample Survey (NSS) report, the proportion of ailing persons per 1000 aged person are 283 and 368 in rural and urban areas respectively. Survey report also say that proportion (per 1000) of aged persons who cannot move and are confined to bed or home is 77 and 84 in rural and urban areas respectively.
AdvertisementThe major objectives of the NPHCE are establishment of Department of Geriatric in identified Medical Institutions as Regional Geriatric Centers for different regions of the country and to provide dedicated health facilities in District Hospitals, CHCs, PHCs and Sub-Centers levels through State Health Society.
Following facilities are being provided under the Program:
- Geriatric OPD, 30 bedded Geriatric ward for in-patient care, etc at Regional Geriatric Centers.
- Geriatric OPD and 10 bedded Geriatric Ward at District Hospitals.
- Bi-weekly Geriatric Clinic at Community Health Centers (CHCs)
- Weekly Geriatric Clinic at Primary Health Center (PHCs).
- Provision of Aids and Appliances at Sub-centers.
Under CGHS, there is a provision for domiciliary Physiotherapy in respect of CGHS beneficiaries under the following conditions:
- Orthopedic disorders- Post Joint Replacement surgery in acute phase up to two weeks post discharge.
- Neurological conditions- for up to six weeks in the following conditions:
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Gullian-Barre Syndrome.
- Spinal Cord injury with significant disability/deformity.
- Motor neuron disease.
- Locomotor disability with a disability of over 80% who are totally dependent on care-giver based on the advice of tow government specialist, by certified care giver (Care giver means Rehabilitation Council of India certified personnel, Physiotherapist and occupational therapist duly qualified diploma/degree holder).
You May Also Like