Medindia

X

Food Poisoning Struck Santa Claus Promotes Importance of Food Safety in Scotland

by Reshma Anand on  December 15, 2015 at 4:59 PM Diet & Nutrition News   - G J E 4
Can Santa get Food Poisoning? As its the Christmas season, goodies occupy most of our mind. Christmas parties and lavish meals are so common which also pose an increased risk of contracting food poisoning during this festive season.
Food Poisoning Struck Santa Claus Promotes Importance of Food Safety in Scotland
Food Poisoning Struck Santa Claus Promotes Importance of Food Safety in Scotland
Advertisement

To create awareness about the importance of food safety and reduce the number of people contracting food poisoning, Food Standards Scotland (FSS) has launched a safety campaign. The campaign features Santa Claus struck by a bout of food poisoning.

‘Food Standards Scotland data shows that there are 43,000 food poisoning infections, 5,800 GP visits and 500 hospital admissions across the country every year. ’
Advertisement
The campaign also gives out food safety tips and advises people to follow the Four Cs of food safety: cleaning, cooking, chilling and avoiding cross-contamination, with specific advice on the storage, preparation and cooking of turkeys and leftovers.

Geoff Ogle, chief executive of Food Standards Scotland, said, "Christmas is a time for all the family to come together and enjoy themselves and food plays an important part of that. Home cooks are usually preparing larger quantities of food, from party snacks to turkey roast dinners. When you've got a lot to do in the kitchen and are in a hurry, you can take your eye off the ball when it comes to hygiene, and when that happens there's more scope for things to go wrong."

FSS figures show 78% of Scots think they are unlikely to fall ill from food they have prepared in their home and 77% of people learnt cooking from their a family member, suggesting good hygiene and food safety habits can be learned and passed down through generations.

He added that adequate time must be given to defrost turkey and inconsistent cooking through the bird won't get rid of bugs like campylobacter, which can cause food poisoning. Leftovers of turkey must be stored in the fridge and must be consumed within 2 days. Fridge temperature must be at 0-5°C.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All