Medindia

X

Fire That Caused Third-Degree Burns to Cancer Survivor Triggered by Unusual Mixture

by Kathy Jones on  February 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
The fire that caused second and third degree burns to an 11-year old cancer survivor in the US was triggered by an 'unusual mixture' of static electricity, olive oil and hand sanitizer.
 Fire That Caused Third-Degree Burns to Cancer Survivor Triggered by Unusual Mixture
Fire That Caused Third-Degree Burns to Cancer Survivor Triggered by Unusual Mixture
Advertisement

Stephen Lane revealed that his daughter Ireland Lane, who was a patient at the Oregon Health & Science University's Doernbecher Children's Hospital, had used an ethyl alcohol-based hand sanitizer which she may have wiped on her t-shirt and the bedside table.

Advertisement
The doctors also found presence of olive oil in her hair and on her t-shirt and the report said that the combination of the two along with static electricity caused the fire. Ireland suffered second and third degree burns on 19 percent of her body.

Dr Stacy Nicholson said that the hospital is no longer encouraging the use of olive oil to remove EEG electrodes on patients who are allergic to the gel remover. "We are no longer suggesting the use of olive oil for patients who have an allergic reaction to EEG gel remover. In addition, while our placement and use of hand sanitizer meets industry standards, we plan to review our procedures to see if there are any additional adjustments we can make to promote safety", she said.



Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All