A fire broke out at West Bengal's largest state-run hospital SSKM, near the pediatric ward, on Saturday night. Officials reported no casualties or injuries in the incident.
The fire has been arrested, said SSKM hospital superintendent Tamal Kanti Ghosh.
Around 80 children admitted in the Allex ward were evacuated through the back door.
"Four fire tenders were rushed to control the fire. The situation is now under control. All children are safe," said a fire brigade official.
The fire was noticed around 10 p.m. when smoke was seen billowing out of the seminar room on the fourth floor of the main building of the hospital.
"The fire was caused by a short circuit in an air-conditioning machine. The fire has been doused," said Fire Services Minister Javed Ahmed Khan.
A fire incident had happened in the same hospital March 21 and dozens of critical patients had to be evacuated from the emergency OPD after thick smoke bellowed from there.
In December last year, 94 patients and staffers died when a blaze in the basement Kolkata's well-known AMRI (Advanced Medicare Research Institute) Hospital engulfed its annexe building with noxious smoke, trapping helpless patients while most doctors and others fled to safety.