FDA Warns Dog Owners of the Dangers of Common Artificial Sweetener

by Shirley Johanna on  May 14, 2016 at 6:19 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
The Food and Drug Administration has warned about a common artificial sweetener that could be toxic for dogs.
FDA Warns Dog Owners of the Dangers of Common Artificial Sweetener
FDA Warns Dog Owners of the Dangers of Common Artificial Sweetener

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is used in chewing gums, toothpaste, mouthwash, chewable vitamins, peanut butter and baked goods. The FDA received multiple reports in the recent years of dogs being poisoned by xylitol in the past few years.

‘The Food and Drug Administration has warned a common artificial sweetener called xylitol can be deadly to dogs.’
"If you're concerned about your dog eating a food or product with xylitol in it, check the label of ingredients," Martine Hartogensis, an FDA veterinarian, said in a statement from the agency. "If it does, indeed, say that it contains xylitol, make sure your pet can't get to it."

Xylitol is not dangerous to people. But, dogs process it differently. Xylitol can spike their insulin levels, causing dangerously low blood sugar. This can be life-threatening if it is not treated, said, Hartogensis.

"Take your dog to the vet or emergency animal hospital immediately if you suspect xylitol poisoning," said Hartogensis.

Once a dog has eaten something with xylitol in it, the symptoms include vomiting, staggering, seizures, and even death.

Keep toothpaste, sugar-free gum and any other xylitol-containing product away from the dog to avoid xylitol exposure. The FDA has advised not to use human toothpaste on dogs.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All