Medindia

X

Family of Man Who Died After Caffeine Overdose Demands Withdrawal of Energy Mints

by Kathy Jones on  October 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
The family of a 40-year old man who died of a massive caffeine overdose after eating Hero mints has demanded that the instant-energy mints be withdrawn from the market.
 Family of Man Who Died After Caffeine Overdose Demands Withdrawal of Energy Mints
Family of Man Who Died After Caffeine Overdose Demands Withdrawal of Energy Mints
Advertisement

John Jackson found dead in his flat in Darlaston, West Midlands, in May after consuming the Hero mints bought from shops close to his home. While coroner Robin Balmain has ruled his death as an accident, he has promised to write to the Department of Health to warn the dangers posed by the mints in order to prevent any such deaths in the future.

Advertisement
Hero mints come in a tin of 12 mints, with each mint containing around 80 mg of caffeine, same as a 250 ml energy drink such as Red Bull.

Jackson's step daughter Rebecca Court, 23, said that something should be done if such deaths are to be avoided in future. "On the box they said one tablet equals one can of energy drinks. A kid could go in and buy them and the same thing could happen to him. Dad loved eating mints. He ate all sorts of different brands and probably didn't realize these mints had high amounts of caffeine in them. Something should be done about them. They are very, very dangerous", she said.


Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All