Medindia

X

Eating Raisins and Dried Fruit can Ruin Your Teeth: Dr. Saara Sabir

by Dr. Trupti Shirole on  November 16, 2015 at 5:23 PM Dental News   - G J E 4
While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child's dental health and cause severe problems in later life. Dr. Saara Sabir, a practicing dentist, has suggested that the most serious culprit of tooth decay was raisins and dried fruit.
 Eating Raisins and Dried Fruit can Ruin Your Teeth: Dr. Saara Sabir
Eating Raisins and Dried Fruit can Ruin Your Teeth: Dr. Saara Sabir
Advertisement

Dr. Sabir said, "Many parents think they're a good option because they're packed with vitamins, but the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child's teeth. A small packet of raisins has around eight teaspoons worth of sugar in."

‘Many parents think raisins are a healthy snacks option because they are packed with vitamins. However, the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child's teeth.’
Advertisement
The recommended daily sugar allowance for children aged four to six years-old is no more than five sugar cubes. For children aged seven to ten, it is no more than six cubes.

Dr. Sabir further added, "The reason dried fruit poses a particular danger is also because of its consistency. Raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth. Therefore the bacteria have a prolonged source of sugar, so it can cause decay for a longer period of time. Because of the nutritional value, it's better to give your child raisins as a dessert or part of a meal rather than a snack."

Source: ANI
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All