New Automatic Brain Metastases Planning software by Brainlab was used for the first time at Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience in Philadelphia to guide radiotherapy on a patient with cancer that has metastasized to the brain.
The procedure that treated all the 5 metastases present in the patient's brain took less than 20 minutes to do so with the Brainlab technology. On the contrary, traditional method could have taken 3 hours or roughly 30 minutes per tumor.
AdvertisementAutomatic Brain Metastases Planning offers improvements over the current standard treatment of Whole Brain Radiation Therapy (WBRT). Cognitive deficits may happen with WBRT that involves application of low doses of radiation to the entire brain over time and with many sessions. Brainlab's software can automatically render a clinically ready treatment plan in less than 2 minutes.
Automatic Brain Metastases Planning software by Brainlab uses a unique algorithm that allows delivery of highly effective single-session treatments while helping to minimize dose spread to surrounding healthy tissue. By treating multiple brain metastases at one time, planning and treatment time can be significantly reduced, even with as many as 10 tumors to treat.
Some of the features of Automatic Brain Metastases Planning software include:
- Automatic prescription selection offered based on the tumor volume.
- Automatically selects group of metastases but has the ability to not select metastases that should not be treated under the automated single isocenter (easy clustering of regional subgroups)
- Different treatment options based on clinical selection from single fraction radiosurgery to fractionated SRS or SRT
- Assessment of dose distribution related to each metastasis
- Automatic 3D dose visualizations for individual tumor prescription and half prescription IDL
- 3D dose projection visualization for complete normal tissue dose evaluation
- At the same table position, arcs rotated forward and backward covering any metastasis either by the first or second arc.
- To avoid exposing normal tissue to an unnecessary dose, metastases lining up in the direction of leaf-motion are not treated simultaneously
PShort, Intense Exercise Begins To Reverse Heart Problems In People With Type 2 Diabetes Brazil Witnesses a 73% Drop in Child Mortality: World Health Organization M
You May Also Like