DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Has Claimed Lives 42 Till Date

by Kathy Jones on  October 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Even as it struggles to contain the second outbreak of Ebola this year, the Democratic Republic of Congo raised its death toll from the Ebola virus to 42 on Wednesday.

The latest figures include eight health workers, Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi said in a message sent to AFP.
 DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Has Claimed Lives 42 Till Date
DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Has Claimed Lives 42 Till Date

Some 70 cases of the deadly virus have been confirmed in a remote region near the town of Boende some 800 kilometres (500 miles) northwest of Kinshasa, with a mortality rate of around 60 percent.

According to the World Health Organization and the authorities in Kinshasa, the outbreak is not related to the worst ever epidemic of the virus which has killed more than 3,000 people in west Africa this year.

A month ago, the government said 32 people had been killed in the outbreak, the seventh Ebola outbreak since the disease was first identified in the former Zaire in 1976.

The last case in DR Congo, which has an incubation period of three weeks, was confirmed on 24 September, said the minister. Last month, Congolese authorities had declared the outbreak was "on its way to being controlled".

Source: AFP

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All