Double-Dipping As ‘Dangerous’ As Contaminated Foods!

by Reshma Anand on  November 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM Diet & Nutrition News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment
Font : A-A+

Double dipping a chip may be tasty but it may become harmful to your health, revealed a new study.
Double-Dipping As ‘Dangerous’ As Contaminated Foods!
Double-Dipping As ‘Dangerous’ As Contaminated Foods!

A team of researchers led by Paul Dawson, Professor of Food Science, Clemson University found that double dipping may result in bacterial transfer in unmaginable levels. They also reported that the acidity of the dip may determine the level of bacterial transfer.

The team analyzed the bacterial transfer rates in three dips namely, salsa, cheese and chocolate. They found that once subjected to double-dipping, the salsa took on about five times more bacteria (1,000 bacteria/ml of dip) from the bitten chip when compared to chocolate and cheese dips (150-200 bacteria/ml of dip). But two hours after double-dipping, the salsa bacterial numbers dropped to about the same levels as the chocolate and cheese.

They suggested that it's better to stay away from double dipping as saliva in mouth contains higher amounts of bacteria which can easily spread through foods. Also, if you see people double dipping, steer clear of their favored snack.

Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive