Aerial bombardments blew apart a medical facility in the Afghan city of Kunduz that was run by the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF). The deadly bombing that killed 22 people took place about the time of a US air strike early on Saturday, October 3, 2015.
The Doctors Without Borders has called for an independent investigation into these air strikes. Meanwhile, US Defense Secretary Ashley Carter on Sunday, October 4, 2015, has repeated President Barack Obama's promise of a full and transparent investigation into whether his country's military was responsible for the air strike on the hospital.
AdvertisementA spokesman for international forces in Afghanistan said, "A strike had been carried out by US forces in Kunduz against individuals threatening the force. The strike may have resulted in collateral damage to a nearby medical facility."
MSF's general director, Christopher Stokes, said, "The strike is a war crime. Relying only on an internal investigation by a party to the conflict would be wholly insufficient."
The blast killed 12 staffers and 10 patients, and has left the hospital in flames and rubble.