Doctors Concerned About Deadly Canberra Mushrooms

by Savitha C Muppala on  January 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM Diet & Nutrition News   - G J E 4
Death cap mushrooms are lethal and many are unaware of its life threatening risks in the event of poisoning. Experts said that just one-death cap mushroom is enough to kill an adult.
 Doctors Concerned About Deadly Canberra Mushrooms
Doctors Concerned About Deadly Canberra Mushrooms

Doctors are a bit concerned about the manner in which people poisoned by death-cap mushrooms are treated. According to the recent issue of Medical journal of Australia, nearly 30 per cent of people treated in Australia do not survive more than seven days.

Amanita phalloides, as they are called are yellowish white mushrooms and they can be usually found in the older suburbs of Canberra among imported oak trees.

In the study, researchers evaluated treatments in cases of death cap poisoning. Treatment using the drug, silibinin, was also considered.

"Silibinin is international best practice, but there is not good evidence for its use and we have been unable to conclusively demonstrate a benefit," research-team member Dr Michael Hall

Clinical trials on antidotes will really help. If there is a possibility of other relatively unknown options, it is time to explore it.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All

More News on: