Doctors appeared to have goofed up in the case of a senior citizen, who had great difficulty swallowing and was treated for a lung infection for a pretty long time.
It took nine weeks of trial and error for doctors to realize that the lady in question, 75-year-old Nermin Keating, had dentures stuck in her throat which she had accidentally swallowed, but had no clear memory of as she was suffering from dementia.
AdvertisementDoctors assured them that there was no way she could have swallowed her teeth and said that it could only be a lung infection. Only on the fourth visit, when Mrs. Keating continued to express problems with swallowing did doctors find that she had swallowed dentures. She was immediately referred to Chelmsford's Broomfield Hospital where medics removed the dentures.
Peter Hadfield, of the Mount Chambers Surgery, said: "It was an extraordinary find - very unusual. The patient had difficulty swallowing for quite some time but nobody ever suspected the obstruction was a set of dentures. I've never heard of anything like this in my whole career."