A 60-year old woman's worst dentist nightmare came true during her visit to a dental clinic in Sweden after the dental drill dropped loose before being lodged in her lung.
According to reports, the woman was lying down as she was undergoing a dental implant surgery at the Vastmanland County Hospital in Sweden when the front portion of the dental drill, known as burr, became loose.
AdvertisementThe doctors immediately tried to sit her up and make her cough in order to get the drill out but it was too late as she had swallowed the burr.
An X-ray revealed that the burr had lodged in her lung and an emergency bronchoscopy was conducted to remove the three-inch burr.
The hospital's medical chief Per Weitz revealed that it was an unfortunate incident and added that new rules will be introduced in order to make sure that the incident is not repeated. "What we've done at the clinic is to make sure everyone double checks that the drill is attached properly, and we've also introduced a routine of testing the drill in the air. That should be done before every procedure now", Weitz said.
You May Also Like