Medindia

X

Delhi Doctors Finally Remove Denture Swallowed Three Years Back

by Kathy Jones on  February 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM Indian Health News   - G J E 4
63-year-old Usha Rani had difficulty in swallowing for the last three years due to the barrier of a denture that she swallowed accidentally.

Undetected until now, the denture was removed Monday by doctors at the Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute, Paschim Vihar, Delhi.
 Delhi Doctors Finally Remove Denture Swallowed Three Years Back
Delhi Doctors Finally Remove Denture Swallowed Three Years Back
Advertisement

Rani, who weighed 45 kg was brought to the hospital with a history of progressive difficulty in swallowing.

Advertisement
Despite undergoing tests in the past, she gained no relief. Diagnosed as having a cancerous stricture of the oesophagus (narrowing of food pipe), Rani was advised its removal.

However, on investigation, senior consultants at the hospital found that the denture was lying stuck in the lower oesophagus without any signs of it being cancerous.

"The surgery was conducted to remove the stuck denture through a transhiatal abdominal approach, avoiding a chest incision. A small incision was made in the stomach. The use of balloon catheter allowed the visualisation of the denture which helped us separate it from the mucosal lining," said S.K. Abrol, senior consultant, general surgery department, who conducted the one-and-a-half hour operation along with Rajesh Valeja.

He added that the denture was brought out successfully from the small gastrotomy incision and that Rani is fine now.

Source: IANS
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All