Small sips of cola have proved life-saving for one-year-old Amy-Rose Todd from Penicuik.
Born eight weeks prematurely, she continues to battle deadly health problems.
She required urgent life-saving surgery due to a rare birth condition which has left her with the esophagus attached to the windpipe instead of the stomach.
Amy-Rose was born with a rare condition that affects about one in 40,000 babies and is a deadly mix of several birth effects - medically termed as Vacterl syndrome. One of her kidneys needed to be removed.
The operation has left her with a scar tissue and there is a risk of choking to death every time she eats. Amanda Hendry, her mother explained how they need to give her sips of cola in order to prevent her from choking.
Amanda said: "Normally if something got stuck it would be a trip up to the Sick Kids hospital. She would go a funny colour and her lips would turn blue. But if I give her a tiny sip of cola it unblocks it. The bubbles either help push the food down or make her sick and it stops her from choking. She is such a happy, smiley little girl. Nothing fazes her. I am so proud to be her mummy."