An inquest held into the death of runner Claire Squires ruled that she had taken a sports nutrition supplement that contained a drug that has now been banned in Britain.
Squires, 30, collapsed on the final stretch of the 26.2-mile course back in April last year. The inquest heard from her boyfriend, Simon van Herrewege, that she had put a scoop of a nutrition supplement containing the drug, DMAA, into her water bottle.
AdvertisementThe coroner ruled that Squires had died due to a cardiac arrest caused by extreme exertion, complicated by DMAA toxicity.
Recording the verdict the coroner, Dr Philip Barlow, said, "She had taken a supplement containing DMAA which, on the balance of probabilities, in combination with extreme physical exertion, caused acute cardiac failure, which resulted in her death. My hope is that the coverage of this case and the events leading up to Claire's death will help publicize the potentially harmful effects of DMAA during extreme exertion."
You May Also Like