Medindia

X

Cancer Patient Dies From Overdose Of Chemotherapy Drugs

by Shirley Johanna on  December 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM Cancer News   - G J E 4
A 49-year-old man wrongly diagnosed with back pain who had cancer died after he was given an overdose of chemotherapy.
Cancer Patient Dies From Overdose Of Chemotherapy Drugs
Cancer Patient Dies From Overdose Of Chemotherapy Drugs
Advertisement

Robert Trivett, a builder, went to his general physician with chronic back pain but was told he had sciatica. But when the pain worsened, Trivett was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo surgery to remove two tumors on his back. Following the surgery, his condition deteriorated, and he died a week later due to an overdose of chemotherapy.

‘The 49-year-old underwent surgery at Southmead Hospital in Bristol to remove two tumors from his back. But his condition worsened after he was transferred to Bristol Royal Infirmary for chemotherapy.’
Advertisement
Trivett's partner Amanda Goodwin (50) received an apology letter from the hospital. She is now demanding £100,000 compensation.

The letter stated Robert had "received a larger dose of chemotherapy than intended."

Amanda, a jewellery-maker, said, "I just couldn't believe they took my Robert. He was looking good, really handsome. They took me with him. They took away my life."

Trivett underwent an operation at Southmead Hospital in Bristol to remove two tumors from his back. He was then transferred to the Bristol Royal Infirmary for chemotherapy, but his condition rapidly deteriorated.

"I spent the whole night with him on April 3, until the nurses told me to leave at 6 am. I called the hospital at 10 am to check up on him. I was told that Trivett was doing fine and eating porridge," said Amanda.

"Then they rang again at 11 am and said my Trivett had died, that they did all they could to revive him, and he passed," she added.

Amanda received a letter from the foundation trust the next day apologizing for the overdose.

The letter, from the hematology and oncology center's general manager, Sophie Baugh, said, "The initial facts of what happened have shown that your partner, Mr. Robert Trivett, received a larger dose of chemotherapy than intended. I would like to offer my sincere apology that this has occurred and to assure you that we are taking this seriously."

Amanda said, "What gets me is that he was getting better in Southmead until he went back to the BRI."

Alan Bryan, clinical chair of the division of specialized services at University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust said, "I would like to express my condolences to Mr. Trivett's partner following this sad death. Following a review of the care that Mr. Trivett received at the Bristol Oncology and Hematology Centre (BHOC), we found that he had been mistakenly given a larger than intended dose of chemotherapy approximately a week before he died."

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All