Medindia

X

Beware of Gas Geysers, Read Safety Manual Before Use

by Savitha C Muppala on  June 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM Indian Health News   - G J E 4
Gas geysers have become increasingly popular in Delhi, especially due to frequent power cuts. They are hazardous if safety instructions are not followed and they can cause brain damage.
 Beware of Gas Geysers, Read Safety Manual Before Use
Beware of Gas Geysers, Read Safety Manual Before Use
Advertisement

Doctors from the department of neurology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, have revealed the dangers of using gas geysers at home. Doctors reported that bathing in an ill-ventilated room with a functional gas geyser can increase the risk of epileptic seizures.

Advertisement
"All these cases had similar symptoms of nausea, headache, vomiting, fits, etc. We may have not noticed the link but one of the patients was curious to know if it could be because of the gas geyser," said Dr Chandrashekhar Agrawal, chairperson, department of neurology at the hospital.

There is an increase in such cases during winters. When people install such geysers in the bathroom, the geyser uses gas and burns to generate heat. The person begins to inhale oxygen as well as carbon monoxide and this can lead to hypoxia.

"We advise a gas heater to be put off before entering a bath and have good ventilation in the bathroom. Also, these cases can get misdiagnosed as seizures and be wrongly treated."



Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All