Two elderly patients suffering from ulcers died after an Indian-origin doctor prescribed them ten times the normal dose of morphine while he was preoccupied surfing the Internet.
Rajendra Kokkarne, 37, was checking cricket results, looking at news, doing personal banking and reading e-mails during working hours when he prescribed the doses.
AdvertisementBoth the patients named Beryl Barber, 78 and Eric Watson, 86, died of morphine overdoses within three days, The Daily Mail reports.
They were living at a home for Alzheimer's and dementia sufferers and had a number of health problems, including painful ulcers.
But the drug prescribed by the doctor was inappropriate for their circumstances and the prescription was ten times the normal dose, the jury was told.
The GP lied to the police by claiming that he was trying to find a suitable specialist for a patient with a sleeping disorder when he prescribed the deadly doses, Leeds Crown Court heard.
Robert Smith QC, prosecuting, said records showed that the GP had not looked at that patient's records and was surfing the Internet on the practice computer.
Kokkarne, Nottinghamshire, has denied the charges that the patients died due to gross negligence.
The court heard that the GP gave police a prepared statement when questioned about the 2008 deaths.
He stated he intended to prescribe a lower dose and was unaware he had made an error.
The trail is still continuing.
P Nepal War Children: from Poverty to University Health can be Improved by Thoughts About Mortality M
You May Also Like