Sources at the law firm representing his family told EFE that Antonio Meno, the Spaniard who was in a 23-year coma brought on by medical negligence, has died.
Meno was 21 when he went into a vegetative coma July 3, 1989, after undergoing a rhinoplasty at a Madrid clinic that later was absolved of blame in lawsuits filed by his parents.
AdvertisementIn the first ruling in 1993, the court obligated the insurance company to pay Meno the equivalent of more than 1 million euros.
Even so, the Supreme Court ultimately concluded that there was no medical negligence in the case and overturned the judgment.
After this decision, Meno's parents in 2009 began a lengthy sit-in on the street outside the Justice Ministry in the center of Madrid to demand a decent outcome in their son's situation.
The case took another turn when Ignacio Frade, a surgeon who had been present during Meno's operation, passed by the tent the family had set up outside the ministry, learned what had happened and offered to testify that the anesthesiologist was away from the operating room when the patient's heart rhythm became irregular.
After that, Meno's family returned home after spending 522 days camped out in front of the ministry.
Finally, in July 2011, the family received an indemnity of 1.07 million euros (about $1.39 million).
Meno was buried Monday, one of the family's lawyers said.
P Obesity Poses a Huge Problem for Gen X First Signs of Autism Don't Appear Until After 6 Months of Age: Researchers M
You May Also Like