A 20-year-old boy, who died a month ago, was admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) after several refusals even after being confirmed to be suffering from dengue. His family members alleged that the doctors at AIIMS did not provide proper treatment to their son, following which a committee headed by head of the pediatric department, Dr. V.K. Paul, was formed.
A hospital official revealed that the committee has found five doctors of the hospital to be guilty of lapses in the treatment of the youth undergoing treatment for dengue, and disciplinary action has been initiated against them.
AdvertisementAn AIIMS official said, "One assistant professor has been charged with not having followed up on the patient after getting him admitted, while another was found to have not played a proactive role on the management front. A senior resident doctor has also been served a show-cause notice for lack of post-admission involvement. Two junior residents have also been found guilty of giving wrong and overdose of medicines, respectively. Internal disciplinary action has been initiated against the five doctors and relevant show-cause notice issued, seeking their explanation over the lapses."
A report has also been submitted to the union health ministry.