The investigation into the botched cataract surgeries that led to a large number of people losing their eyesight in North India has revealed that the accused surgeon performed a record 130 surgeries over a period of three days from October 31 to November 4.
According to senior government officials, 31 of the patients have been traced so far and a squad has been sent to Mathura to get the details of the remaining patients from the organisers.
AdvertisementThe officials added that the surgeries were conducted in unhygienic conditions, and efforts are being made to save those whose vision can still be restored.
Teams of eye specialists from AIIMS-Delhi and PGI-Chandigarh visited the 31 patients at ENT Hospital in Amritsar district in the state of Punjab last Saturday.
Principal Health Secretary Vinnie Mahajan, who is heading the high-level probe, said that no patient has gone completely blind as cataract surgery is performed only on one eye at a time. For about a dozen patients, vision in the operated eyes can be restored, she said.
Deputy Commissioner of Amritsar, Ravi Bhagat, said a team has been sent to Mathura to get the records of patients from the S.K. Netra Chikitsalaya, which had organised the camp.
Deputy Commissioner of Gurdaspur, Abhinav Trikha, who had got the case registered at Ghuman police station, said 130 patients were operated upon by Dr. Arora over three days October 31, November 3 and November 4.
Paro, one of the patients, said when she complained of pain following the surgery, she was only given a cotton ball to place on her eyes.