17-year-old Anjali Devi's marriage was ruined after she had a procedure called tracheotomy. The procedure was undertaken after she swallowed pesticide and became comatose following a fight with her husband Shivakumar.
Doctors at the Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) in Puducherry saved her life, but had to bore a hole through her windpipe to ease her breathing after she developed severe respiratory distress.
AdvertisementThe strange sight of her walking around with a pipe in her neck drove Shivakumar away from her and her marriage seemed over.
However doctors at the Government General Hospital in Chennai have performed a rare ENT surgery removing the damaged part of the windpipe and restoring her own ability to breathe. "She now has no hole in her neck. And her husband has come back to her," a doctor at the hospital said.
The doctors performed this surgery by moving her voice-box or larynx a little below, so as to bypass the damaged windpipe.
P Patients Ready to Ditch Hands-on Medical Care for Computer Consultations Research Reveals Embryo Movement Stimulates Joint Formation M
You May Also Like