A 24-year old woman who had developed a rare skin disease died at Chennai's Government General Hospital after suffering a cardiac arrest two weeks after being admitted to the hospital.
Gunasundari had developed a rare allergic reaction to drugs known as Steven Johnsons Syndrome that causes the outer layer of the skin to peel. Doctors at the hospital revealed that she choked on her dinner on Sunday and was put on a life support system before she died of a cardiac arrest on Wednesday.
AdvertisementThe hospital has come under some heat over the case with Gunasundari's husband AR Ramanath filing a medical negligence case with the Madras High Court even as the police maintains that it was a natural death.
Stating that the patient had already developed Steven Johnson Syndrome even before she was brought to the hospital, the medical superintendent in charge, Dr V Palani said that she was on an anti-epilepsy pill for the past three months after giving birth to her child.
"She had severe respiratory distress and was put on ventilator for two days. On Wednesday, she developed cardiac arrest and died", Dr Palani added.
You May Also Like