An anti-measles and tetanus vaccine at Anganwadi centres in Damoh town, in Madhya Pradesh has created havoc after four infants aged below two years died and 17 others fell ill.
The district administration revealed that 20 kids were administered the vaccine on Friday afternoon, but four of them died by evening. The district administration has blamed negligence of a nurse as the cause behind this tragedy.
Chief medical and health officer Dr DK Shrivastava said, "The cold-chain or sub-zero temperature under which the vaccine has to be stored seemed to have been ignored or broken" The samples of the vaccine have been sent to New Delhi for examination.
SP DK Arya said a nurse had taken out the vaccine from a thermal flask and stored them overnight in her fridge before distributing them. The said nurse has been suspended.