Three persons, including a woman, died while over a dozen were hospitalized following toxic gas leak from a chemical factory in Uttar Pradesh's Hardoi district on Saturday.
The affected people were rushed to a hospital in Lucknow.
Awadesh Kumar Singh Rathore, Hardoi District Magistrate, said that investigation was being conducted on the matter, and strict action would be taken against the guilty.
"There is a factory named Amit Chemicals in Sandila town. Three people have died there and some are affected. Eight people were hospitalized out of which one was dead and so total three people have died. Out of others, five are said to be out of danger. Doctors are looking after them and they have also found the anti-dote for the harmful chemical," Rathore said.
He also said that the Sub Divisional Magistrate has been suspended for ignorance in the matter as complaints were lodged earlier against the chemical factory.
Uttam Gupta, who lost his father in the tragedy, said that numerous complaints were lodged against the chemical unit, but the concerned officials had not taken any action.
"We have our rice mill which is in front of Amit Chemicals. Though they release gas every day despite our telling them not to do so as we were facing lot of problems. But today we do not know what type of gas they had released that my father expired on the spot," Gupta said.
"Around 100 to 150 people are staying in that industrial area and because of this gas whole area is affected. All the labourers in area are suffering and running hither and thither for help," he added.